FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 15, 2020
Michael Geoghegan Named 5th President of Eastern Gateway Community College
Steubenville and Youngstown, Ohio – The Eastern Gateway Community College Board of Trustees voted, unanimously, today to name Michael Geoghegan as President of Eastern Gateway Community College.
“Mike has demonstrated clear, effective and decisive leadership since taking the helm of Eastern Gateway Community College, during some of the most difficult times we’ve faced,” said James Gasior, chair of the Board of Trustees. “Since taking on this role six months ago, Mike has positively transformed the college, and has ushered in a new era of growth, value and collaboration. We are proud to have him continue to lead the college.”
Since assuming the dual role of of interim president and chief financial officer in January 2020, Geoghegan has accomplished a number of significant initiatives, including:
• Leading the college’s response to COVID-19 and transitioning to a fully online delivery model.
• Hiring a vice president of academic affairs, a position that had been vacant at the college for two years.
• Reinstituting internal communications opportunities, including First Fridays and weekly labor-management meetings.
• Creating the Office of Institutional Diversity.
• Establishing the EGCC Summer Guarantee, offering free college to residents of Jefferson, Columbiana, Mahoning and Trumbull Counties, which lead to continued growth in enrollment.
• Coordinating the college’s preparation for a Higher Learning Commission site visit.
• Launching a new social work degree program.
• Managing the college’s budget, in the face of state cuts to higher education, without laying off employees or cutting services.
• Securing the bond sale that financed the purchase of the Health Care Workforce Building and the Thomas Humphries Hall in Youngstown.
• Revitalizing the college’s marketing efforts with new partnerships, advertisements and strategies.
In his new role as president, Geoghegan will relinquish the responsibilities of chief financial officer. He joined Eastern Gateway Community College in 2017 as chief financial officer and treasurer. Geoghegan came to Eastern Gateway Community College from Cincinnati State Technical and Career Center, where he also served as the chief financial officer for seven years. He also held positions with Cincinnati City Schools, Hamilton County Auditor, the CFO of Broward County in Florida and the State of Ohio’s Auditor’s Office. He received a bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University and a masters in business administration from the University of Cincinnati.
“I appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve alongside the staff and faculty of Eastern Gateway Community College, as we work together to build America’s 21st century workforce and respond to the realities of our communities and the economy,” said Geoghegan.
Media Contact: Amanda Wurst | 614-832-7512 | [email protected]
About Eastern Gateway Community College
Eastern Gateway Community College provides quality, student-centered, future-focused higher education. Valuing accessibility, affordability and equity, the College helps students achieve successful learning outcomes, engages educational and community partners, and serves the citizens of Columbiana, Jefferson, Mahoning and Trumbull Counties.