

# EGCC Student Government Association 2023-2024

## Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

<https://egcc.zoom.us/rec/share/4GRPTd9IHszUFwbvqmJY5TJtC7VefFyS-PpTEQryLtWL9VadWS7Qkn-1YnPNtkJ55pBeemWAtOj2Nj>

Passcode: Wb4+TNhb

### Special Orders

None.

### Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by President Rogers at 8:06pm EST.

### Attendance

Rogers	X
Boyer	X
White	X
Beahn	X
De la Cruz Romero	X
Kelly	X
Montgomery	X
Oushana	--
Quirarte	X
Robinson	X
Shipman	X
Walker	X

**Present:**

**Absent:**

Quorum is: 10 Majority is: 7

### Reading of the Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting on October 25, 2023 were provided via email from Advisor Twyford for your review prior to this meeting.

**Motion: Boyer Second: Multiple**

***Approved via voice vote.***

### Officer Reports

**Rogers:** No report.

**White:** Attended Rotaract informational meeting w/ Secretary Boyer and Senator Shipman

**Boyer:** Rotaract meeting was interesting, seems like it could be a great group. Basically going to be a student service organization. Advisors are really looking to get it started, they'll be meeting soon. (*Reach out to advisor Ron Fasano – rfasano@egcc.edu*)

## **Committee Reports**

**HLC 1:** (Quirarte) – No report, wasn't added to meeting invite. Twyford shared an report from previous meeting.

**HLC 2:** Student Complaint System Survey - <https://forms.office.com/r/ZmSx6F1F7w> (Boyer, Shipman, Beahn) Most of teams have been completed, they're going to clean up and start writing. Sec. Boyer and Sen. Shipman will look over the draft and add anything, then it'll be finalized and ready to turn in. Committee met Monday, SVP Wanat and said they'd review and get follow up for students seeking it. They're moving quickly to get the form moved to the front page of the student portal.

**HLC 3 – Teaching & Learning, Quality Resources & Support:** (Rogers) – cancelled this week.

**HLC 4:** (White) – Did not meet this week, or didn't get information, unsure.

**HLC 5: *No updates.*** Did get word from Johnna Provenzano (chair) that they would like a student to participate, will get meeting date/time and send out to body.

### **Student Feedback Survey Committee (White)**

Survey link: <https://forms.office.com/r/E78853bYxi>

*Was sent out to students with the 10/30 email.*

No update.

*Twyford will send the five new responses to the survey out to the body. (5 new responses since 10/30)*

**Motion:** Table

**Made by:** Quirarte

**Second:** De La Cruz Romero

***Approved unanimously.***

### **Governing Documents Review Committee (Quirarte, Robinson)**

**Motion:** Establish as standing committee, call upon when needed

**Made by:** Beahn/Shipman

**Second:** White

***Approved unanimously.***

## **Old Business**

1. Promoting SGA to Students (greater presence, reporting on efforts, working with other student groups)

**Rogers:** I know there was a lot of discussion on the Discord, much to do with Item #2 on Old Business. Any comments or ideas on promoting SGA to students?

**White:** Winter Activity for December 15 – I can put something together, a game night, hot chocolate night, etc.

**Rogers:** I'm all for it, would anybody like to help? We had talked about that.

**Kelly:** Interested in helping with that.

**Rogers:** We don't have to wait till the 11/29 meeting to pencil something in, we'll work with Abbie to make it happen. *White and Kelly can work together over Discord to come up with ideas.*

**Twyford:** The date is clear, if we can guarantee a good turnout between groups, Student Activities Office can look at hiring a vendor.

**Walker:** Do we want to extend the invite to families or is it just student-only event?

**Shipman:** Was wondering if that's a school policy or group policy?

**Twyford:** School policy, student activity fee pays for events.

**White:** Time change/difference and family vacations may affect turn out

**Walker:** Members of the BSU are interested in joining on 12/15.

*Twyford will work with White & Kelly in regard to setting up an event.*

**Walker:** Has there been any contact with the other student groups? (IT Club, etc)

**Twyford:** IT Club has really fallen off with meetings with leadership changes, we can reach out to on-campus groups too.

Motion: Table

Made by: Walker

Seconded: Montgomery

**Approved unanimously.**

## 2. Joint Session of SGA/PTK/BSU and other groups

*Joint session of student leadership groups with Dr. Crooks to receive updates, "State of the College" style, on HLC, DOE, etc.*

**Boyer:** I don't think anything is set in stone yet. I do like the idea of Dr. Crooks coming in and having one of his chats. I think there are many students who don't know who he is yet, and I think the groups hosting it is a great introduction for him and all of the groups.

**Rogers:** Was there a date we were looking at?

**Walker:** We'd looked at early in the spring semester with the holidays coming up but we hadn't decided anything.

**Rogers:** I think that could be good, we can get together and have our holiday activity and try to cram something else in there that would require a fair amount of planning. We'll look forward to that early in spring semester.

**Boyer:** If we're going to do it in early spring semester, could we do a welcome back night for new students, plus questions for Dr. Crooks and what he wants to tell everyone?

**Twyford:** We can definitely have a welcome back night and ask Crooks to be a part of it, and we can host a separate Q&A night for HLC/DOE/"state of the college."

**Rogers:** Let's keep working on this in the Discord.

Motion: Table

Made by: Boyer

Seconded: Walker

***Approved unanimously.***

## **New Business**

No new biz.

## **Gallery Remarks**

No gallery.

## **Announcements and HLC/DOE Updates**

*Another round of HCM2 is due early next week.*

*We'll be getting the focus report back from the IAC late next week that should tell us what areas of the HLC "not met/met with concern" they will be concerned with in their spring visit.*

## **Motivational Quote from Senator De La Cruz Romero:**

*"It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop."*

*Nominates Senator Robinson to share motivational quote at the next meeting.*

*(White/Kelly/Shipman/Beahn have not shared quotes yet)*

## **Closing Remarks from Advisors**

- Lost at Sea Escape Challenge – tomorrow night 11/9
- Employee Development Day is 11/17
- Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

## **Adjournment**

At this time, I would entertain a motion to adjourn...

**Motion: White**

**Seconded by: Robinson**

This meeting is adjourned at 9:03pm EST.

My question is What criteria was used to come up with the competitive price of tuition?

Open house for students - meet & greet  
eSports



**STANDING ITEMS:**  
Review of document revisions  
Student Feedback Survey

EASTERN GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE



**2023-2024**

*Dr. Crooks' Vision*  
**Creativity**  
**Scholarship**  
**Success**

CKI - College Kiwanis Intl chapter  
More involvement w/ existing clubs -- collaboration, officers attending our meetings to share updates, may get ideas about how to direct efforts  
Virtual events hosted or sponsored by SGA (game night, cooking class)



Bring trust back to the student body, have students look at us as leaders of the school, and show them that it's ok and we're here for the right reasons. If we can be the peers they can look to, it'll be huge for us.



- 80% of students getting an A, B, or C
- Excellent persistence from term to term, and retention from year to year, ultimately completion

**Accessibility Services**

- Be involved with college committee

**Online student services**

Getting more student involvement  
Have SGA attend other clubs  
Delivery time of college textbooks  
Honor society for persons with disabilities (do research on this)

