Veterans attending Eastern Gateway may be eligible to receive benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs when pursuing most associate degree programs. Veterans may begin the application process for VA benefits by visiting the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website at www.gibill.va.gov. Further details can be obtained by contacting the veteran’s certifying official at Eastern Gateway, Amanda Coburn at email@example.com.
Eastern Gateway Community College is a Military Friendly School!
The 2015 Guide To Military Friendly Schools in the GI Jobs magazine lists Eastern Gateway as being friendly to veterans.
Eastern Gateway is listed in the guide as friendly in several ways, including:
- Financial benefits – The college provides in-state tuition for non-resident veterans and military as well as credits for military service and training by participating in the Ohio GI Promise. With the Post-9/11 GI Bill, veterans may be eligible for up to 100 percent of tuition and fees, up to $1,000 for books per year. They also may be eligible for a Basic Housing Allowance depending on credits taken and percentage of eligibility. The GI Bill provides up to 36 months of these benefits. Eastern Gateway also awards college credit for military training that is similar to EGCC’s course content. The college uses the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services to determine course equivalencies. And, the college provides college credit for the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam, which allows students to receive credit for what they already know through testing.
- Flexibility – Online/distance learning, evening and weekend classes are available.
- Support – Eastern Gateway carries no activation penalty and belongs to the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) consortium. Members provide flexibility to service members, their families and veterans seeking college degrees. The college provides information for military and veteran students on its web site.
- Degrees offered – Military and veterans may enroll in dozens of degree programs and certificates leading to a career or transfer to a university.
- Accreditation – Eastern Gateway is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Many career programs, particularly in the health fields, also hold nation accreditations.